Thursday, March 26, 2009

I have survived



Well, I did it. I survived for almost ten hours without a computer. It was hairy for a while. The anxiety was almost overwhelming. I had to put my head beneath my knees a few times and then breathe into a paper bag, but I made it through to the other side.

Several times I caught myself heading into my office to check email. The desk looked very barren, stark, so alone. My breath would catch. I filled my time with unnecessary chores to keep my mind off the withdrawal.

Obviously I’m up and running once more. I had a new PC buzz late into the night as I downloaded software and files. I never knew computers could move so quickly. I had gotten used to filing my nails and making calls while a page loaded.

For the moment, I love technology and I’m going to savor it, because heaven knows it may not last too long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never think about not having a computer until I don't have one then I sit around confused and appalled that I can't seem to accomplish the simplest thing without it and I say things to myself like, "How did people find out about things in the old days before the Internet?" Then I'm impressed that someone had to leave their desk to do anything.

Cormac Brown said...

Ten whole hours without being on vacation?

The horror...


...the horror...

Eternally Free Spirit said...

Wow those are beautiful flowers. I love the scent of Hyacinth. I once had a candle in that scent that I could just burn forever. Unfortunately...it's gone. Burned all out =-P I have 3 cats myself and understand well the little patter of little paws on the tile/hardwood floors at night. It's so cute.