Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another good reason to recycle

Trips to the grocery store are pretty uneventful – coffee, chocolate, bananas -- and don’t stir up much anticipation for an interesting excursion. But as I pulled into the parking lot of the Shop & Save the other day, my eyes lit up.

This is why:


Behold the Tag Wagon.

Now while some of you are thinking…”What the heck?”….I was girlish in my enthusiasm to see this movable art in my neck of the hood. Luckily I had my camera with me and I just circled the wagon clicking and smiling and shooting and grinning.

I love folk art. Outsider art. Primitive pieces. Work that exhibits unrefined creativity, that flaunts whimsy and explodes with ingenuity. I am thrilled with the rawness of it. Unpretentious. Childlike. Quirky.

I got to meet the artist as he loaded groceries into the wagon. His name is Jim Shores, he’s a self taught, from Rome, GA, collects found objects for his pieces, loves what he does. He says on his website, “When I finish a piece, and it makes me smile, I find that it often has the same effect on others and that warms my heart.”

You warmed my heart, too, Jim. And made my day.

Here are more photos of the Tag Wagon and a couple other pieces by Jim.










And Jim asks that you all... “Please recycle.” Your junk could wind up in his art.


.........................................

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome. I love quirky stuff like that too. Inventive and interesting and using recognizable everyday things. Very cool.

Is it wrong that I giggled (tee hee!) at the idea of someone's "junk" ending up in his art? Hee. Junk!

Some Guy said...

I love stuff like this, too. It's fun.

drollgirl said...

hooooooooooooooooray for outsider artists!

and it is so smart to always travel with camera. d'oh. i forget a lot and it is always the times that i don't have my camera when the fab stuff appears.

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

How fun! I love his work. I've been trying to remember to take my camera everywhere. You never know when or where you're going to come across things that just must be captured...

Cynthia L. H. said...

Amazing! Love it!
:^)

ceecee said...

Truly wonderful! I would have been snapping away with the camera too. I'm a big fan of Howard Finster. Do you know of him?
Catherine

Rudee said...

I love art like this too. It's always amazing to me to see how clever and original people can be.

Rosaria Williams said...

It takes a lot of imagination and free spirit to create/recreate and reuse stuff. Kudos to the young man from Georgia

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Reminds me of the old volkswagon Hippie Busses back in the 70's. :)

I love folk art, too. Imaginitive, creative, raw and resourceful. Good stuff, the stuff of real life.

The Old Silly From Free Spirit Blog

veronica said...

Sure ! I'll do your paint chip blinds...hahaha

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be back !

Nancy said...

I love this wagon!!! Yay!

There is one in Portland, OR that is astounding. This guy drives around in a car totally covered in "art", dressed as a clown, with a monkey puppet that he operates, while he drives. I think he has music coming out of the top, too. Loud music!

He always makes smile.

Anonymous said...

Wow great find Pyzahn.

I really the last pic of the frozen storage. Too fun and funny.

Martha said...

Oh my! Hope you'll cinsider linking this one up t my Color Carnival! WOW! :-)

xxx said...

I like it :-)

x ribbon

Bruce Johnson said...

We all need to be more like Jim.

Renee said...

Nothing better than interesting people in our neighbourhood.

xoxox