Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer in the city



Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck gettin' dirt-'n'-gritty
Bend down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city
All around people lookin' half dead
Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match-head
-- Summer in the City

This sculpture caught my eye today as I was driving about. I spotted the zaftig woman in The Loop, a popular area in University City. She was relaxing quite comfortably in her birthday suit in front of Meshuggah Coffee House.

She must have been sitting there for a while because no one seemed as intrigued by her as I was. Maybe it was because she just looked appropriate -- today the heat index was 110 and taking your clothes off sounded like a fine idea.

There was a sign nearby that told her presence was part of the U City outdoor sculpture series. I bow in gratitude to this community because they are big supporters of public art.

No, I don’t know what happened to her foot. I’m not sure if it’s part of the artist’s statement, or a rotten act of vandalism. But I think it adds to her offbeat charm.

Hmmm,she needs a name. Any suggestions?


...........................

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daisy.

Anonymous said...

She looks like an...ENID.

Cynthia L. H. said...

Okay...now you've got me singin' that song!
;^)
How 'bout Pensive Penelope?

ceecee said...

Hey! She might be the sister of my mannequin! I can see why she is without clothes - the heat is dreadful. My air-conditioner is pumping away and my bill is rising. And everyone on the east coast is complaining that they haven't had summer yet. Just wait! Stay cool, my friend.
Catherine

Cormac Brown said...

But at night it's a different world...

It's not summer until I hear that song, Chicago's "Saturday In The Park" and Sly And The Family Stone's "Hot Fun In The Summertime."

And surely the statue's name is "Shirley."

Renee said...

Oh my God you totally have the coolest blog ever.

I love it.

I love how you do dreams, so dreamy.

Renee xoxo

Rudee said...

With that leg? Peg.

Kathleen said...

I'm going to go with Rudee on this one! LOL!!!!
We're sweltering in Minneapolis, too.
Next stop: Arctic circle!

ds said...

I dunno. The Venus del St.Lou?
I think Rudee's is best, actually.

Unknown said...

I have no idea why but the name Giselle popped into my head.
I love her - especially with her cup of coffee! Just wonderful!

Silver said...

Kayla.

Came back and checked on that coffee post of yours.. hey, you're right! Same astral plane !

Unknown said...

She looks like Mother Nature to me...taking a coffee break.

It's just turned summer here and am already sick of hearing about THE HEAT INDEX and THE DEWPOINT. It's called humidity, okay?? Stop with the fancy-schmancy.

get in here said...

Thanks for the insult!

Eleonora Baldwin said...

I think it was a foot fetishist who stole Argilla's trotter. Argilla means 'clay' in Italian (Latin).

Love your posts, Patrizia. You are so cool.

Lola xx

Deborah said...

We were in Georgia last year this time for bootcamp graduation and it was the first time I really understood HUMIDITY. OKAY. So I won't complain about my DRY HEAT! Regarding the statue, I think she has very perky breasts for a woman her age! HA! Love, Deborah

drollgirl said...

oh, what HORRIBLE WEATHER!!! i never understand why people look forward to summer, unless they don't have to work in the summer. i hate being sweaty and hot.

and i can't think of a good name for lady sculpture. humph.

Rosaria Williams said...

Loved the song. That is a hot city right now; won't that poor lady get sunburned without clothes?

sallymandy said...

Is that a bird in her coffee cup?